Family based immigration includes consulor processing & family sponsored adjustment of status

Many people get Green Cards (become permanent residents) through family members. You may be eligible to get a Green Card as:

     1. An immediate relative of a U.S. citizen, this includes:

spouses (green card through marriage),

unmarried children under the age of 21, and

 parents of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older

     2. A family member of a U.S. citizen fitting into a preference category, this includes:

unmarried sons or daughters over the age of 21,

married children of any age, and

brothers and sisters of U.S. citizen petitioners 21 or older

     3. A family member of a green card holder, this includes:

spouses, and

unmarried children of the sponsoring green card holder

     4. A member of a special category, this can include:

battered spouse or child (VAWA),

a K nonimmigrant,

a person born to a foreign diplomat in the United States, and

a V nonimmigrant or a widow(er) of a U.S. Citizen